Sunday, April 30, 2006

The absolutist in me.

Since long I had been thinking of writing this. What triggered the desire was my conversation/s with a couple of my friends and gang of cousins whom I am lucky enough to have in my life. I shall remain indebted to them forever.


Time, they say is a versatile performer…it flies, marches on, heals all wounds, runs out and will tell. These are nothing but my thoughts on various issues…whether time manages to change my perception remains to be seen. At times though, I feel that it (time) needs a helping hand from the other 'me' to achieve the task. I try with utmost honesty to render it.

Trust :

When people claim to trust someone, how can they doubt him/her thereafter? Trust, I believe is blind. Blind inherently and totally. It has to exist without a trace of doubt. 'Vishwaas, andha hi hota hai'. This means that nothing, as 'andhvishwaas' exists in my dictionary. Either one can trust someone or cannot. This of course does not mean that he/she has to mistrust the remaining. He/she might remain indifferent towards them.


I don't understand the way people use the expression. I obviously lack the wisdom that others possess (….may be because I refuse to accept the very superfluous ‘working definition’ of the word.) They claim to have trust in people. How can they claim that a certain person will not do such and such thing? Human behavior is so diverse. People behave differently in different circumstances and even in same circumstances. The situation is cryptic and uncertain and yet 'trust' is claimed to exist. Strange.


If I know a person well, all that I might say/be able to say about him/her is that he/she can do this and this. I would not be able to say that he/she cannot do such thing today so he/she would not do it in future as well. I wonder how people claim the latter.

Love :

Everyone seems to be in it….fallen, risen, sailing or bitten. Going by what is claimed and seen and often flaunted, more than half the population is 'deeply' in love…So it has attained epidemic proportions despite suffering from a handicap…blindness. I am being stupid. Let me stop right here then. No…I won't attempt the impossible task of defining it. Let me just say that it is a feeling pristine and giving in nature. Lust has no business here. So is the case with vocal chords. It is a feeling…remember…so it has to be 'felt' … found/experienced in silence…not lost in verbal clutter.

Creativity :

I have written on it before as well. It is something innate. Either it is there or is absent. Yes, I believe it to be congenital. Creativity cannot come in the list of traits acquired after birth. Talent, acumen, skill (or whatever the name given) can however be acquired.

Laziness :

This is something that I completely abhor. Consequently, my opinion about it is strong…rigid as that bright carbon. Shirking of work is not a character trait; it is an anomaly of blood. Need I say more?

Marriage :

This is where the problem begins. The root of the problem…my profession and me. Yes, it has murdered the sweet, conventional girl in me. Nothing that I regret; my parents however, might. Marriages …made in heaven? Frankly speaking I do not find/have not found anything sacred in it. In the Indian scenario, (for I cannot comment on how the rest of the world treats it/considers it) and for an Indian female, it is nothing more than a socially accepted, institutionalized, and thoroughly reinforced, serfdom.

Why am ‘I’ a root cause for what my opinion on marriage is? The answer shall come automatically for those who know me enough. Because of my independent (read rebellious) attitude/thinking, which I valiantly guard, I find myself ill suited for the ‘service’. I cannot (and do not want to) fit into the mould of a stereotype wife. An average Indian male today has thoughts that are ‘ostensibly’ radical but intrinsically retrograde…at least I find most of them not evolved enough. Because of their pampered and ‘different’ upbringing, they first ‘fail’ to and after marriage ‘refuse’ to do their things themselves.

Companionship and procreation are the two, very powerful reasons put forth (usually by men and women respectively) in favour of marriage. Hmm, they could have a point here and since I am yet to make up my mind regarding these, I might as well abstain from commenting on it.

Finally…and this was important….Why should one bother to read, let alone adhere to my perceptions? I’d advise them not to and while saying this I have no regrets. I am used to it…no matter how hard people try…a few manage to board my train of thoughts…

No comments: