Thursday, May 29, 2008

Death...business of Lord Yama?


Why is death such a morbid topic to discuss when it is a gospel truth? Just as we speak of life, why do we abstain from talking about lifelessness? Why is it unsavory? If it is for you too, PLEASE DO NOT READ FURTHER.

: )


Long ago, I read a quote which has stayed with me since-“death is in love with life and it is a mad, obsessive love; that is the reason they never part”. I find it so beautiful that any explantion is very likely to marr its inherent appeal. So let me leave it at that.


Regulars with this blog would definitely have read “When I die” (http://sunanda-offthebeatenpath.blogspot.com/2007/02/when-i-die.html), a satirical poem on the subject I teach…but leaving jokes apart, I have often wondered and imagined how I would ideally like to depart from this planet, or whether I fear death and introspection has revealed a negative answer. I do not ‘fear’ death-I just fear misery. Blackness should envelope me while I am still hale and hearty; not striken and infirm. And I guess that is what most of us fear, not death.


Ideally, I would like to be assasinated or be a martyr. Okay, so it sounds dark, but then I feel that a situation where the nation pays tribute to the departed soul or your body is shrouded with the national flag-honoured with a 21 gun salvo are deaths worth dying for! After all, they reflect on how you lived! Is it not? The last few dialogues of ‘The Last Samurai’ resound within me where the deceased Samurai’s son asks the hero: “Tell me how he died”. And the hero replies, “No, I would tell you how he lived!”


Just as I write this piece, I am reminded of a friend who compliments me on my sunshine smile. : ). She advised me against writing this piece saying that one just cannot connect death with me…someone who is so vitally alive and whose every fibre lives so intensely! I take it as a compliment! Thanks dear and take some more of that ‘SUNSHINE’ smile : )


If I throw modesty to winds, I am reminded of two songs; one from Jab we met and the other from Tashan:

तुम से ही din होता है

सुर्मिये शाम आती

तुमसे ही तुमसे ही”…lovely and it means so much.


And the other one…

इस बात पे चाँद भी bigda, कतरा कतरा वह पिघला

भर आया आंखो में मेरी

तो सूरज भुजा दूँ, तुझे मैं सजा दूँ

सवेरा हो तुझ से ही कल”…if I am sunshine, savera tow mujh se hi hoga…kyun? : ) Vanity Vanity…I know!!


Hey by the by…I would like to be reincarnated as “Hope”; for it always remains. Remember Pandora’s box! Yeah, some of you do.

Take care and enjoy life…(http://sunanda-offthebeatenpath.blogspot.com/2006/05/journey-of-life.html)

PS: Continuing with my dark humour- you may consider this as a part of my unregistered will!

:) Smile dearies...just kidding

No comments: